Friday 13 November 2015

“lies behind” by anne schwankhart 16 November - 5 December 2015

-->







Artist’s Statement:



it is curiosity that inspires my work.

i am in the exploratory phase of my art, experimenting, trying new ideas.



inspired by art at an early age, i admired master painters like Joan Miro, Paul Klee, Pablo Picasso and Hundertwasser as well as my uncle, Francois Wenger, who was a full time artist and cartoonist.



i started painting as a gentle journey back to myself through playfulness. an exploration of my paradoxes, my opposites.



i now use creativity to express the overflow of emotions i often feel; an attempt to make sense of this world, to release, to transform and to find the humour in it all.



this year i decided to paint one face a day, for 365 days, and it is keeping me in a constant state of exploration; showing up daily and experimenting incessantly. my first solo exhibition is a selection of these faces, as well as some larger work.



i work quickly and spontaneously from my imagination, often finding the face in the pre-prepared, layered background; the details are sparked from clues and signs from my everyday life, a conversation, a trait, a colour combination.



my work is playful and unconventional yet it invites the viewer to look a little deeper at what may lie behind.





anne schwankhart comes from nendaz, a ski resort in the swiss alps. for the past 14 years she has loved, explored and lived in South Africa with her husband.



from tourism to kinesiology to becoming an artist she has had a colorful and diverse career so far.





The exhibition closes on Saturday, 5 December 2015

No comments: